Saturday, January 15, 2011

Hockey

Last night our family went to an Idaho Steelheads hockey game, our first. We went with the Stubbs family, but I didn't see much of them. I sat in the seat on the opposite side from them and the seats were so narrow and the arena so loud that the only person I really talked to was Carter, who happened to be sitting next to me.

Carter noticed right off that hockey is a violent game. He commented on it to me after watching players get smashed into the sides of the rink a couple of times. He said it was a good thing they wore all that safety equipment so they wouldn't really get hurt. I know all about hockey, because I'm Canadian, so I explained that sometimes they do get hurt, especially when the players get really angry and start to fight, and that sometimes there will even be blood on the ice. I think Carter was a little bit skeptical about my hockey knowledge, but then there were three good fights, the last with a nice display of blood on the ice. There was even the added bonus of a bloody eye we could see from our seats in the second level that really impressed Carter and now he knows better than to doubt my expertise in all things Canadian.

We had to leave with two minutes left in the game and a score tied at five goals apiece because Ryan got sick, but that was okay because it looked the fighting might have been over. All in all it was an entertaining game, more than I was expecting and I didn't even need to pull out the book I had in my purse just in case. On the way home Maddy asked what were those black things on the ice when the players were fighting? Oh, I replied, those were their gloves. They take them off so they can punch better.

Isn't hockey great? Wynn's taking some of the kids to a basketball game tonight. I decided basketball might be just a bit too tame for me after the hockey game so I'm staying home - I'll wait for a good pro-wrestling tour.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Ya.. hockey is a bit insane eh. Glad that you are so knowledgeable in Canadian things. Way to go!

The Amazing Mumfords said...

Funny, I tell people I am an expert in all things Canadian because I had a roommate from Canada.