Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Charity Fail

Another winter day around here. I'm trying to embrace my winter inertia more and try to enjoy the lack of motivation I feel in January and February. Maybe I'll be happier about it if I tell myself that doing nothing productive is the plan all along. Right now I'm supposed to be exercising, but Wynn is laying in bed watching t.v. on the laptop and, of course, I can't walk on the treadmill without watching something of my own on the laptop. But it's all okay. See- I'm embracing my winter laziness. And by March there just might be a little more of me to embrace.

Yesterday I stopped to get gas and a teenage girl came up to me and asked for some money to buy a gallon of gas because she was out of gas and had no money and she just needed enough gas to make it back to her mother's house. My first thought was to say no - I don't like being asked for money by anyone face to face. It seems kind of an invasion of my personal space, you know? Besides, she looked kind of like a punk kid so I was pretty sure she was just looking for drug money. My second thought was "What would Jesus do?" And honestly I didn't know. Should I not judge and lend her a hand or let her experience the consequences of running out of gas and looking like a punk? In the end I gave her some money because all my thinking was making for somewhat of an awkward pause, and I figured if I gave her some money she wouldn't have to rob someone else to get. So really, although I gave her money, I don't think I was really being charitable - unless you count being charitable towards her future victims. On the plus side, she was very polite and thanked me profusely.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Very charitable of you I'd say. I totally hate being asked for money too. I never have any to give though.